Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pure Comfort Food

Last night I had a mad craving for rice pudding, I hadn't eaten rice pudding in years but last night at about 10 o'clock I had an almighty urge to have a steaming bowl of rice pudding topped off with cinnamon. So Isaac pulled on our coats and hurried to the shop around the corner to get this pudding delight! Isaac hates rice pudding - he calls it gloop - he got a bar of chocolate instead!


Comfort food for me is food that brings me back to another time or place (usually my childhood), and rice pudding does just that. It reminds me of my mum when I was little, which is funny because I'm sure my mum would say the same thing. She probably eats it as infrequently as I do but when you do it makes you feel all warm and cuddly inside. This is not gourmet, fancy or flashy food, it's pure unadulterated comfort food, and even though it comes from a tin (it has to be ambrosia!) with a dusting of warming cinnamon it is transformed into something special on a cold November night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment