Monday, April 22, 2013

Soft Coconut and Oat Cookies

Wah-hey! You made it through Monday, you deserve a treat for that! How does a soft and chewy coconut and oat cookie with a glass of milk sound? Oh yes! And you know what? You can totally tell yourself they're not too bad for you, they have no butter and contain a heart health fat. So enjoy!!


This a great little recipe that I picked up from a very cute blog (the pictures they have are way prettier than mine) and these were a huge success all round! For my 1st attempt I halved the recipe and I did fiddle around with quantities just a tad, but other than that I stuck pretty close to the recipe. I've had this jar of lovely organic coconut oil for a while and I wanted to put it to use for something other than just cooking (using it instead of olive oil etc.), so I was really excited to find a baking recipe with it. My coconut oil had solidified so I scooped it out into a measuring cup and let it melt in a bath of hot water until it was totally liquified.


So you start off with your dry ingredients in a large bowl; dessicated coconut, jumbo organic oats, organic white spelt flour, pinch of salt, baking powder and soft light brown sugar (set aside in a separate bowl). Then you have your wet ingredients; the melted coconut oil, a large organic free range egg and vanilla extract.



You start off by whisking together your wet ingredients along with the light soft brown sugar (I added a good bit less of this than the recipe stated, 100g was more than enough sweetness for me, but if you try this recipe out yourself maybe put in the full amount of sugar suggested first and then use less the next time if you'd prefer them less sweet), until the mixture is lighter in colour and fluffy. Slowly then add in your dry ingredients and combine. Don't over work the mixture as you don't want to lose all the air you just built up as the cookies won't have the right texture when finished. The half mixture made about 8 large cookies.


Dollop spoonfuls onto a baking tray and cook for 10-12 mins. I think mine took 11 minutes exactly and should just a tiny bit brown around the edges, but they're meant to be pale so don't worry if they look under done, they're not. You have to leave them for 10-15 mins on the tray as they are super soft and would just mush up if you tried to move them. After they've cooled a bit, move them to a wire rack until totally cool. These stored really well for 3 days in an airtight box and were so delicious! A great afternoon treat or a bit of after dinner indulgence.

2 comments:

  1. I like this and might give it a go! I love coconut and it looks like a healthy snack. Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so lovely, and as long as you reduce the sugar they really not too bad. Plus a little of what you fancy will do you good as they say! :)

      Delete